Total Pageviews

Monday 18 June 2018

A COMMUNITY MOURNS


   10,000 people attend the vigil at Princes Park, Nth Carlton
Friends and neighbours living in the same Public Housing community, who have known the Dixon family for years, are shocked, saddened and outraged by the rape and murder of Eurydice ( Ridi ) Dixon.
Many of us attended last night’s vigil in Princes Park which brought together around 10,000 people.
When I think of Eurydice, Iike so many others on social media, I feel depressed and to cope with these feelings- I sometimes visit my close friends next door. They are more than friends really, they are my family. The children cuddling up to me on the sofa, their chatter, and the baby's immediate need for attention - it all helps to keep me grounded and in the present, so I don’t feel ‘sunk’ by my emotions.
Ridi was a vibrant young woman with her whole life ahead of her…
My neighbours are originally from Ethiopia, and the Ethiopian culture is all about togetherness, sharing and having time for one another. They celebrate together and they grieve together - something I think we have largely lost in Western culture, where everyone is expected to 'soldier on' alone, to function, and deny even unbearable pain.
I'm relieved to know that Eurydice's father Jeremy is not alone at this time; he has left his flat to stay with his immediate family during this time of mourning.
Jeremy is grateful and appreciative of all the positive heartfelt support from the community, but the family is not engaging publicly at this time.
As has been said in newspaper articles, Jeremy Dixon is a ‘very good man’ and a devoted father. He is a dear friend of mine, highly intelligent, committed to social justice - a very sensitive and caring man.
His daughter Eurydice was a delightful, bright, vibrant and clever girl.
Our love and thoughts are with Ridi’s siblings and all the Dixon family at this time.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm at work surfing around your blog from
    my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts!
    Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss.
    Our loss really.
    We are all diminished by what happened.
    🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was unaware that you know the Dixon family, Fiona. I am so sorry this happened at all.A real comfort to live in a loving, supportive community. Public housing engenders togetherness. C.

    ReplyDelete